Monday, August 8, 2011

A Strange Little Bird

I've always said this but now it's official - Rowan is JUST like Jason.  Rowan has always been very similar to Jason but it's even more evident now.  He loves to paint and color but somehow it always ends up very messy, as evident in the pictures below.  Thank goodness for washable paint.




Rowan isn't satisfied with only one color.  He will pick each one up, use it for a bit and then move to a new one.  During a few desperate moments, I've even handed him a pen and crumpled up receipt and he's happy.

Now to change subjects...for as many meltdowns and temper tantrums Rowan has, he's also had some very sweet, endearing moments.  Any time he sees a picture of Jason or I, he points to it and says "Mama" or "Dada" and smiles really big.  Several times over the past few days, he's asked "where's Dada?" if Jason is gone.  I've learned to take the good and bad behavior together.

His vocabulary is rapidly expanding but he still doesn't like to talk.  You can point to something and ask him what it is or flip through flash cards, and he will identify everything correctly but he doesn't in turn use the words.  I guess I'll have to ask the pediatrician about it.  Although he is stuck on calling any animal he can't identify a "cow" and continues to call a tree "a house."  He's really good about saying "thank you" but he sometimes says it when he should say "excuse me."  For example, he bumped into me with a car tonight, looked up and said "thank you!  I keep reminding him to say "excuse me" but he's stuck on  thank you.

Oh well, at least he's learning manners.

2 comments: